Monday, May 20, 2013

Pray for Oklahoma

Today in Moore, Oklahoma (roughly 2 hours from the town I live in) there have been devastating tornadoes. It is so bad they are no longer doing "search and rescue" actions, they are performing "recovery" actions. An elementary school was hit and last I heard there were at least 20 children, I can't even finish that sentence. It's just too heartbreaking.
My husband, son and I sat at the house this evening watching the devastation happen, as well as them start efforts to clean up the debris. I tried to imagine what it was like to look around and see nothing but what used to be your home, your town, your life. These victims have nothing now, they have literally lost everything. That is when I felt this major urge to help in some way. I thought "What would I need if I had just lost everything?" Then it hit me, the first thing people NEED is clothes, and shoes. They are walking around in this debris, with nails, and boards and other harmful things. Their clothes are drenched, and dirty. They need these things to feel a little more human.
We have several big boxes of clothes, womens, mens, and a few baby clothes that we have been saving for a garage sale. We don't have a garage sale planned, and they are sitting there, I decided right then that I am going to donate all the clothes and shoes that I can to help. I would want someone to help me if I were in that situation, and I feel very strongly that it will help. Even if I am able to help one person after this disaster then that is all I need.

This evening I have also received several Facebook messages, photo tags, friend requests etc.. in reference to a 3 year old boy who is at a hospital in Oklahoma City, whose mother is Melanie Thompson.
I am not that Melanie Thompson. My 3 year old (almost) was at home with my husband and I all evening. I would like to report that I read 5 hours ago that the right Melanie Thompson, has been located and she and her husband are back with their little boy at the hospital and everyone is safe.
Once I started getting those messages I hugged Dexter a little tighter, and once the death totals started rising, my hugs got a little tighter again.

Having gotten those messages about a 3 year old who knew his parents names, Shane and I sat down with Dexter and asked him what our names were, it went a little like this...
"Dexter, what is your daddy's name?"
"Daddy"
"No, his real name is Shane, you just call him Daddy because he is your Daddy. What is Mommy's name?"
"Mommy"
"Mommy's real name is Melanie."
"Oh, Melanie?"
"Yes that's right, so if you get lost you can tell someone my mommy's name is Melanie"
"I call you Melanie, not Mommy?"
"No you still call me Mommy"
"No, I call you Melanie, Baby, and Honey now."
To Shane, "Well this conversation didn't go as planned."
To which Dexter replied, "Nope........ Melanie."

I had to end this on a cheerful note. PS: Everyone please pray for Moore, Oklahoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment