Monday, February 7, 2011

Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, guess I'll go eat worms...

Dexter and I came to Oklahoma to visit our family. We will be here until Feb. 11th, (this coming Friday). Yesterday we had a very eventful day of watching old home movies, crying, laughing until we cried, and just having a great time. However, while watching those home movies, I have come to realize something that I have sort of always knew, it was just put into perspective yesterday. I am, have always been and will always be, the middle child!!!
You may ask what that means, well let me explain. While watching 3 year old Andi back talk, play on the phone, and get in trouble, you hear me in the back ground coughing and choking on something, after I'm done coughing the camera pans to me, and my grandmother asks "Mel, whats in your mouth?" 1 year old Melanie, takes whatever substance out of her mouth, shows the camera and puts it back in her mouth, the camera back on Andi. And scene.
I have always known that I was pushed aside when I was little, because I was born 20 months after the first grand child on both sides of the family, and then when I was 5 baby sister Kristin was born, and she was such a demon child, that I was pushed to the back burner again. I am not complaining whatsoever, because it is flat out hilarious to watch now. Here are some quotes from the home movies about me.....

"YOU'RE UGLY"
"Mel stop farting, Gawd Skunk Brewer!" (as mother pushes me to the floor, while laughing of course)
"Aww her dress is dirty." (Andi says as she slaps me in the mouth)
"FART-O-RAMA"

Aside from being pushed to the back burner as a child, I came to realize something else, Dexter is EXACTLY like his Aunt Andi. He makes the same noises, he looks the same, and has the same attitude. Its so strange, because they never knew each other. I like it! I am glad she put her touch on him.

2 comments:

  1. I am the older child and yes...we are the center of attention;) But with being the older there also was a lot of pressure. You have younger siblings looking up to you, your parents are harder on you and by the time they get to the other children they have given up and you're never babied. I guess there are pros and cons to being Marsha, Jan and Cindi:) Not only is Dex like Andi, he will be the older and he's a Leo...Good Luck Lol! Ask my mom about that! He is adorable by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sweetest blog of all time. But the truth is you were and still are the most adorable little Mel-Mel. Andi was the tyrant and you the follower. The fact is my little Mel, you bawled and bawled when anyone else watched you. So it was left up to me, and I wouldn't take a million dollars for the experience and the blessed memories. So even though you think you have the middle child syndrome, one thing you will always have and thats my heart. Love Memaw

    ReplyDelete